Prompts for Autistic History Month
Here are some prompts to get you started if you haven’t already! It’s not too late to submit! Submissions close November 29 at 11:59 PM U.S. Eastern Standard Time.
- How did certain symbols of autism/neurodiversity come about, ableist or not? (i.e. rainbow infinity sign for neurodiversity) (puzzle piece was done for 2013)
- Some autistics often get overlooked in discussions of autistic history – who are they? What are their stories? Can you describe some of their history?
- How does the autistic rights/self-advocacy movement differ historically, then and now, in different parts of the world?
- How does the general autism advocacy movement differ historically, then and now, in different parts of the world?
- Do you have autistic relatives who were born in a different generation? What are their stories?
- What is the history of autistic self-advocacy in relation to general disability self-advocacy? (for instance, how does it differ, historically and now)?
- Autism is not new – but where are the autistics from generations past? What kinds of things happened to them? What kinds of lives did they lead?
- What is your personal “autism history”?
- Find an older activist or autistic person to interview. What kinds of work have they done? What has happened to them? What kinds of lives have they led?